Clamshell packages are one-piece containers that have two halves and hinge in the middle. Typical examples of clamshell packaging include:
- Cardboard fast food sandwich containers
- Plastic containers holding strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
- Plastic containers holding golf balls
They are called "clamshells" because, of course, they resemble a clamshell, which hinges in the middle and can open quite wide. Clamshell packaging provides a practical solution to the problem of how to transport products with lots of small parts. It also offers security measures other forms of packaging do not.
This unique form of design can be the perfect way to package some products. If your product consists of a bunch of loose pieces bundled together for sale, then clamshell packages may be the right solution for you.
What Are Clamshell Packages Made of?
You can make clamshell packaging from just about anything. The most common materials used include:
Thermoformed plastic is one popular option. This material is custom cut and fitted to the contours of your product. Say, for instance, you sell air fresheners that plug into a wall socket. They have an odd shape that doesn't fit premade clamshell packaging. The freshener would rattle around in a square box, and you want something that will cushion the freshener and protect it.
Fortunately, you can custom-mold thermoformed plastic to fit your product perfectly. This is especially useful for fragile products or ones with lots of accompanying parts.
Why Should You Use Clamshell Packages?
There are three main reasons for using clamshell packaging:
- Security: The first advantage, and perhaps the least obvious, is security. Clamshell packaging can be difficult to open. Have you ever noticed how hard it is to pull apart the two ends on a custom package for an electronic device? That's by design. It makes it more difficult for people to rip open in a store or swipe without calling attention.
- Visibility: Another excellent reason behind using clamshell packaging is the visibility it gives your product. The best packages entice people to purchase the product, and clamshell packaging does an exceptional job of showing off your product. So, for example, if you sell blueberries, people can see what the berries look like before they buy them.
- Portability: Clamshell packaging can also keep your product safe during transport. Most products have a journey to endure from your facility to the retailer selling them. You want them to stay safe and intact during that trip since people will be able to see the product through your packaging when it arrives. If it's broken or cracked, no one will want to buy it. Custom clamshell packaging protects your product on its trek to the retailer.
What Types of Products Employ Clamshell Packages?
A range of products rely on clamshell packaging to show off their attributes and attract buyers. You can find this packaging in just about any industry, but some of the most common uses include:
Restaurants also use clamshell packaging to send leftovers home with guests or house fast food products. They will often purchase standard stock packaging, since leftovers do not require the sort of custom design as, say, a screwdriver or nails.
Why Choose Avanti Printing for Your Clamshell Packages?
At Avanti Printing, we have experience making custom clamshell packaging for our customers. Whether you sell food, hardware or something else entirely, we can come up with a way to package your product that will highlight its best design features while also enticing potential buyers into looking at it more closely. Most importantly, we can do this with a design that keeps your product safe.
Working with Avanti Printing has many advantages. We provide fast turnaround times for your busy business, and we can take on large orders, too. We'll also assist you in the creative and design process to get you the clamshell packaging you want. Reach out to us today to get a quote for your packaging project.