We all want to make environmentally sensitive decisions these days, whether in our personal lives or our small business affairs. There are a number of ways we can promote our small businesses while making smart choices that are kind to the environment.
Enter the world of green printing!
What toll does it take on the environment to produce virgin paper and chlorine-bleached paper? Razing forests, leaking carcinogens into ground water and adding toxins to the environment, for starters. However, there are ways for us to embrace the concept of green printing so our carbon footprint is reduced.
If your small business can reduce the amount of paper you use, you’re the lucky few, as most small businesses rely on printed marketing materials to effectively run their business and make money. However, printing green can send a strong message to your clients and customers.
In addition to doing something good for the environment, green printing can do wonders for your business reputation, and it may even be able to save you on your printing costs.
Here are just some of the ways in which you can turn green printing into a positive endeavor for your company:
- Choose printing paper that is made from 100 percent post-consumer waste. This paper should be chlorine-free and should be uncoated. In addition, there are also several paper companies that use renewable energy sources to produce their paper, thereby further helping the environmentally friendly cause.
- When printing, choose vegetable-based inks or soy inks instead of their petroleum-based counterparts. Vegetable and soy-based inks are not only VOC-free, but they are often easy on the wallet.
- Consider eliminating bindings, adhesives or foil stamps in your packaging. The fewer resources you use in your marketing materials, the greener the result.
- Save paper (and money in the process) by asking your printer to use standard, press-sheet sizes. Both your budget and the earth will thank you.
- Reduce the number of inks you use in your marketing materials. Choose a design with just one or two colors; this will save the amount of ink used to produce your marketing materials and will also likely cut down on your printing costs.
Who knew that being green could also add more green to your bottom line? Talk to Avanti Printing today to learn more about how you can enjoy greener printing.
- Be Colorful – In general, choosing a full color greeting card is the best decision because not only will using color make your greeting cards appear more customized, but will enhance the design you choose. Color will make your greeting card will shine.
- Match the Design to Your Business – If you fall in love with a design that features a whimsical garden scene, but you operate a law firm, you might want to skip the flowers and find a design that reflects the tone of your business better. A florist might choose the whimsical garden scene, however, because it meshes perfectly with the business.
- Be Eco-Friendly – Customers respond to ecologically responsible businesses, and one way to show your dedication is to choose eco-friendly greeting cards. These could be printed on recycled paper or plant based renewable paper, or you can even consider using “green” soy ink.
- Save Money on Size – Printing your greeting cards in a standard size will not only save you money in postage, but will reduce the printing cost that comes with larger paper and reduce the cost of creating custom envelopes. Customers will appreciate the custom feel and won’t require a larger than life greeting card.
Postcards are inexpensive to print and inexpensive to mail, which is why many businesses take advantage of this important marketing tool. What better way to get information about your latest sale or promotion to customers than by sending a well-designed postcard? The key is to make sure your postcards are doing their job: attracting customers to your business. Follow these tips, and your next postcard mailing should drum up extra business.Choose the Right Graphic Using Stock Photos Postcards are compact, meaning that you must be concise and choose your graphics carefully. Stock photos are plentiful, inexpensive (usually), and come in high resolution, which is perfect for printing postcards. It’s best to have a specific image in mind to enhance your postcard and then perform a search for the right stock photo. Stock photos mean you don’t have to hire a professional photographer just for a simple postcard mailing, which can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. As long as you choose a well-taken, relevant stock photo, your postcard will stand out — in a good way! When to Commission Photos and Graphics If you need professional shots of your specific products, place or business or services, then you should consider hiring a professional photographer to do the job. You might also want to hire a model to show off your product. Make sure if you’re paying for a photo shoot that the photos can be used not only for your postcards, but for your website and other marketing materials. Custom graphics are also a possibility. Instead of hiring a professional photographer, you can hire a graphic artist to create a unique and eye-catching original illustration of your product or service. The sky is the limit with custom graphics, and you can then re-use the image on other promotional materials. Choose the Right Font You can use a single font or mix a pair of fonts to boost the aesthetic appeal of your postcard design. Your headlines might be a large, bold block print in a different color from the rest of the content. As long as the font is legible, you can be as creative as you need to be to create an eye-catching design for your postcards. Postcards that are designed to impress, whether you use a stock photo, hire a photographer or commission custom graphics, will inspire customers to visit your business.